Samantha and Jack

Samantha and Jack

Sunday, January 3, 2010

A surgical procedure and an unexpected haircut

Do you remember the scene in "Sixteen Candles" where Linda (Jake Ryan's girlfriend) is drunk at the party at Jake's house and shuts her hair in the door? She and her friends are so wasted that they believe the only way to get her free is to cut her hair; they never consider opening the door. So, anyway, one of her friends hacks off a major chunk of her hair and she looks ridiculous.

My point? My sister, Tammy, got both Samantha and Jack Zhu Zhu pets for Christmas. The name on Bear's was Mr. Squiggles but she renamed him Giggles. Although he may be back to Mr. Squiggles--I'm not sure. Bear is very fickle. So Bear is playing with Giggles today and thinks she is being funny and decides to let Giggles run over her hair. Bear's hair then becomes tangled up in Giggle's motorized legs. It is a mess. I spent 45 minutes trying to take Giggles apart to get her hair out without having to cut it. It was useless and, in the end, I had to cut a major chunk of it. Afterwards, Giggles underwent a 30-minute surgical procedure where I tried to put him back together. Of course what I really wanted to do was throw him in the trash. But Giggles is the closest thing to a real pet Bear is going to get so I figured I needed to try to "save" him. Bear is grounded-- no TV until Saturday. She also got in trouble at dinner and had to go to bed early tonight. She is having a miserable holiday.

Jack is no saint either. I'm going to leave it at that.

Tomorrow night I have book club. I have finished exactly one chapter of the book. We are reading an autobiography called "Infidel" so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to find Cliffs Notes (or whatever the equivalent is nowadays). So, basically, there's no winging it. My question is this--if I'm getting stressed about not finishing a book for book club (which is something I do for my own pleasure) aren't I missing the whole point? Am I book club material in the first place? It's my own fault for not finishing "Infidel"-- instead I read a chick lit book by Emily Giffin. I kept thinking I would finish it in time to knock out the book for book club. And, of course, I was wrong. You'll also notice that instead of furiously trying to finish the book, I'm spending what precious little time I have left writing about not finishing the book.

I suck.

Love,
Allie

No comments: