Turning 40 isn't all bad. First, consider the alternative (which is not turning 40). Given my record of car accidents, I'm feeling pretty fortunate. Second, you get phenomenal gifts - -everybody tries to get you something really special. My mother-in-law and her husband, sisters-in-law, and brothers-in-law got me this fabulous set of Jane Austen books. I had been saying I was going to buy them for myself when I turned 40 but they surprised me with them. They arrived on Saturday and they are beautiful. I am almost afraid to touch them. Check them out:
Given that the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and I were sharing the same birthday, I had the day off from work. So my friend Jennifer took me out for a birthday lunch. I got to choose so we went to Panera Bread; we even got a good table. If you've been to the Panera Bread in C'burg you know this is no small feat. That place is always packed. Apparently, college kids are unable to study in their dorm rooms or on campus anymore; they all crowd into Panera Bread, Barnes and Noble, and Starbucks.
When I returned home from lunch, I had a dozen roses waiting for me and the kitchen was decorated with balloons (black). I was really surprised. Samantha was ecstatic; she's got a thing for balloons. Ned and the kids took me out for dinner so we had to go somewhere kid appropriate. We went to Texas Roadhouse where I ran into an old friend from high school. The kids were well behaved so stress was minimal. Bear sang "Happy Birthday" more than once.
I heard from my parents (which means that my Mom called but she speaks for my Dad. I would drop dead if my Dad picked up the phone to call me. The phone is not his thing.), all my siblings, and everyone on Ned's side of the family. Numerous people wished me happy birthday on Facebook so that was an extra bonus. All in all, a very nice birthday.
There was one setback. When Ned had originally asked me how I wanted to celebrate my birthday, I told him that I wanted to go by myself to a nice city (like Richmond or Charlotte) and check into a Marriott or other nice hotel. I picked a city so I could go shopping and get takeout from a really good restaurant. Then I was going to lay in my hotel room and read a good book or watch a chick flick. But, as my birthday got closer, it seemed like too much work to drive to Charlotte or Richmond for a night. So I've decided to take a raincheck on this aspect of my dream birthday and work it in on the front or back end of a business trip in the near future.
Too bad Law and Order wasn't on tv. I would have considered treating myself to a special birthday screening.
Love,
Allie



No comments:
Post a Comment