Samantha and Jack

Samantha and Jack

Monday, November 10, 2008

Sick with swimming or sick of swimming

Gus (speaking with Brazilian accent): I'm sick with swimming.

Liz: I'm sick of swimming too.

Gus: No...no. I'm sick WITH swimming!

Gus and Liz (Men's NCAAs)

In case you didn't know, my husband is a college swim coach. To those of you who know collegiate swimming, this is the heavy recruiting period. So basically, Ned has been stressed since the moment he got home and been on the phone or computer all night. And when he isn't talking on the phone or on the computer, he's sending text messages. As all this was going down, I was reminded of the above-quoted exchange which Ned relayed to me some years ago. Gus, a former H2Okie swimmer, was so excited about swimming that he couldn't contain his enthusiasm, i.e., "sick with swimming." Contrast this with "sick of swimming." I think you catch the distinction. I am sick of swimming; I don't know which category Ned finds himself in. I'm sure Bear is sick of swimming too.

Anyway, Jack is doing so much better at eating baby food. He still makes a mess (both on himself and me). One of his new tricks is to get a mouth full of food and then blow a raspberry. This is not so bad when he's got a mouthful of apple delight (light-colored) but not quite so cute when it's sweet potatoes (orange). Here are some pics:


Ned would want me to mention that the purple bib is one of Samantha's old ones and he that doesn't approve of it's use on his son.
Love,
Allie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I better buck up before I have kids...I don't even remember this convo with Gus...looks like I'm going to forget way more than looking in my kids' bag when I pick them up from daycare to make sure no bottles (theirs or others) are in the bag!!!!