Samantha and Jack

Samantha and Jack

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Date night

The kids' daycare/preschool was holding a fundraiser last night wherein they would watch your kids for a fee and the proceeds would benefit the school. A win/win situation because you were doing something good for the school and for yourself, right? Plus, Ned and I had a gift certificate to a local restaurant, Bookbinders, that was burning a hole in our pocket. (Not really burning a hole but starting to worry us that we would forget to use it.). I had been to the Bookbinders in Richmond on a business trip and really enjoyed it. So, all the pieces were falling into place for a lovely romantic dinner. Ned made the reservation and we were on.

For those of you expecting some crazy or amusing story, sorry to disappoint, but we had a good time with no drama. We did run into Ned's boss and his wife for the second time in a week or so, the former time also being at a restaurant. I started to become concerned that he might think he was paying Ned too much. Hopefully, he knows that I work too.

Today was all about finishing up Christmas cards. Ned said that if we didn't have them in the mail by today, we might as well hang it up. Christmas cards are one of those things that he is really weird about. When I suggested that we nix doing them because we were so busy (for just one year), he was adamant that we had to send out Christmas cards. I don't know if his insistence on doing them is a remnant of our frustration when we were trying (unsuccessfully) to get pregnant and we would receive cards from our friends showing their lovely families. At our worst moment (Christmas 2003--right before I became pregnant with Samantha and after two miscarriages), we would open such cards and make sarcastic comments about how if we opened one more card showing a picture of cute kids, we were going to slit our wrists. Anyway, Ned insists on doing Christmas cards and he has definite rules for doing so. Here are a few:
1. Card must include a picture of the kids.
2. Card cannot include a Christmas letter. This is a major point of disagreement between us because I love receiving letters and think it would be nice to send one out.
3. Card must be in the mail to be received no later than Christmas Eve. (I guess this is a good rule.).
4. Card cannot be overly religious. (I think this is a bad rule which doesn't bode well for Ned.).

I think this year's picture of the kids turned out pretty good. Here is my unedited, uncropped version of it.


I know you're not supposed to brag about your kids but clearly these two got the "greatest hits" package of me and Ned in the looks department.

Love,

Allie


No comments: