Samantha and Jack

Samantha and Jack

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bon Scott

If you know me, you've already picked up on the fact that I am a wee bit neurotic where my kids are concerned. I am completely paranoid that something bad is going to happen to them---I don't trust babysitters or most people with them and I'm convinced that every sniffle has the potential to turn into something major. Plus, I've read just enough to be really dangerous. Meaning that I have heard a bad story on just about everything and how it can mess up a kid.

Anyway, when I told Ned that Jack was throwing up last night, he said "make sure you keep an eye on him. Remember Bon Scott." Is this anything to say to a mom who already is a worry wart? Seriously, like I already didn't have enough to worry about with Jack being sick in general. [In case you don't know, Bon Scott was the former lead singer of ACDC who died when he was drunk and choked on his own vomit.] I couldn't get the thought out of my head so I put Jack in the bed with me so I could make sure he was breathing throughout the night. Of course Jack slept like a baby (no pun intended) and I didn't sleep well at all.

Jack seemed to be feeling better this morning, so I took him to school. After consultation with one of my baby books, I decided that it would be a good idea for Jack to avoid solid foods for a bit. Accordingly, I gave his teachers at daycare a pretty detailed schedule telling them what he could and could not have have to eat and drink that day.

Everything seemed to be going pretty well until 3pm when I got a phone call from daycare informing me that Jack had thrown up and that I needed to come and get him. They also threw in that he looked pretty lethargic. I hang up the phone with them and immediately called the doctor to make an appointment. I couldn't go another night without sleep. The pediatrician's office was able to fit us in at 4:10pm so I went to the doctor for the 4th or 5th time in about a week and a half.

The doctor said Jack just had a stomach bug and gave me a list of do's and don'ts for what to feed him. Of course Jack wasn't the least bit lethargic when I took him to the doctor and didn't throw up for the rest of the evening. But all he's had is pedialyte.

Bear, on the other hand, went with Aunt Ginny to Dairy Queen for a "snack" while I took Jack to Dr. S. She conned Ginny into buying her a shrimp dinner with fries, a soda, and an ice cream cone. Remember, this was supposed to only be a snack. I'm not even going to tell you what the little con artist talked Ginny into getting her at Wal-Mart.

Oh, I almost forgot. I threw Ned under the bus and mentioned the Bon Scott thing to Dr. Stapleton. After I told him who Bon Scott was and how he died, Dr. S. said he bet Bon was drunk and that he had never seen that happen to a kid. Guess that's one thing I can cross off of my list of things to worry about.

Love,
Allie

No comments: